Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Night Before Surgery

Here we are!  I go in for surgery tomorrow at 8:30 and the operation is at 10:30.  I'll be getting my ACL reconstructed with a hamstring graft from the same leg.

I'm trying to take mind snap shots of how this feels right now so I can remember after tomorrow morning. I know I'll be restarting my recovery to a degree but at least I'll have a new ligament to teach and train instead of these fizzled out torn up ends.  I keep forgetting to post an image from the MRI, maybe next time :)

It's been nice to sort of be able to walk the past couple weeks. It's been nice to be able to carry things around as I move around with one crutch. I'm not exactly looking forward to returning to two crutches and a backpack for my thoughts but it'll be alright.  Every day will get easier. And once I'm on the other side of this I'll at least have an end in sight instead of a peak and a valley to get through.

Oh right, as for the kickball playoffs. We did what we typically do. Win our first. Lose our second. It's been a couple seasons now since we got to the finals. It just makes me itch harder and harder to return. Next Spring?, maybe but maybe not. Next Summer?, hopefully. It all depends on how the rehab goes. I plan to stick to the script and not push too hard too fast and not take it easy when I'm not supposed to. I've been doing my pre-surgery exercises multiple times daily and like I've said, I've been walking (albeit gimpily) for a while so it's definitely getting used.

So this is it!  This is the big night!  No food or drink starting pretty soon and I'll head in for that surgery in the morning!  #somanyexclamationpoints lol.  It's all good.  Of course I'm nervous, but I know it will go fine. Just the typical anxiety I have about everything ever.  Hopefully my next few posts after surgery are written in a way that makes sense.  I was going to write sensical but apparently that's not a word. That's nonsensical to me. English, gotta love it.   Anyway, I wish I could write how this feels now in a way that would capture it but language is limiting. There's no way to describe it. I can only hope that my rambling will trigger the memory in my head like certain smells do occasionally or when certain songs remind you of a time period of your life.

Anyway, enough chat. Time for more hat!  Let's do this. Go ahead, fix me up docs!  See you on the other side!


No comments:

Post a Comment