Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Quick Update

Still living that #crutchlife counting down the days until my follow up appointment a week from Thursday. The swelling is going down slowly and slowly. Still swollen. Still tight. Bending it has been tricky and every day I try a little bit more and more. This early stage of PT has felt a bit like a holding pattern since I still can't put weight on the leg. It's annoying and will prolong the recovery a bit but it's better to be cautious with the meniscus repair since I'm going to be relying on that cushion in the future quite a bit once I get back to running and playing. But for now, I'm just hoping to be back to walking by Halloween!  August was long. September has been longer. Bring on October!

I've been following ACL injuries in the NFL this year closer than ever before. There were 25 complete tears in the preseason and so far no complete tears during the season. Kiko Alonso of the Eagles did partially retear his. There's been a couple MCLs and knee bruises. Big Ben avoided an ACL tear this past weekend but did damage his MCL. So it's good that there haven't been any yet during the season but all of this has certainly changed my perspective a bit. I watch the games slightly different. I notice all of the knee braces that linemen wear. I scan for injury updates when I see a player go down clutching their knee.  My team, the Falcons, are 3-0 and flying high. I can only hope the players stay healthy!

Many players who previously tore their ACL have been playing great this year. Tom Brady. Carson Palmer. Tyrann Mathieu, Jamaal Charles, Adrian Peterson, Rob Gronkowski, Darrelle Revis, Eric Berry, Travis Benjamin to name a few.


No comments:

Post a Comment