Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Getting Around

Took it easy for the weekend, oh wait no I didn't. We had a team party Saturday night and I hopped around until 6am!  Getting around is proving to be not exactly an easy thing. I'm new to this crutches game but need to get better and better.

I've been able to put pressure on my foot, just can't stand on it. I can tap it and move it around. I needed to see if I could drive, so I gave that a try on Sunday.  Drove down to the pool area and watched my kids play in the sprinkler for a bit. Driving seems possible now, but I wouldn't want to exactly have to slam on the brakes. I'm just going to be extra cautious and typically only drive the 1 mile to work and back.

Monday at work was a learning experience. I laughed when I saw my first calendar entry for the day. The 9am company wide wellness walk that occurs on the first Monday of each month. Yeah, skipping that. I had another meeting that morning at 1030am in the, let's just call it the far away place from here out. I left super early, with my backpack of course, and headed over to the far away place. Stopped at the rest room and was still 10 minutes early.

It wasn't easy but once I got going with the crutches it wasn't too bad. What I dislike is, "crutching" with my head down. I like to walk and look at where I'm walking, not at my feet. Oh well. I've kind of adapted the attitude of, I'm handicapped, you watch out for me, I'll make sure I don't fall view so far. It won't work all the time, I've still got to be aware, but for now I'm making sure I am not falling by concentrating on my crutch placement.

I like to blend in. I'm sure people know my walk, and when I'm walking by. But now, I'm the guy with crutches. I stand out like a crying baby and you can hear me coming from that far away place.

It's new though. I'll adjust. I'll get better. In the back of my mind I know that the more adjusting I can do pre-surgery, the better. I know it will be a different story immediately after. The better I get now will help tremendously then.

For now so far, I get around. It just takes forever and I really have to limit my trips and think about them before I do to maximize their efficiency.  Be happy you can walk if you are reading this.  I'd like to plug my phone in right now, but it's a process.

I'll talk about it more in a future post, but since we're talking about getting around, up until last week I was averaging 15-20 miles a week running for the past 16 months straight. I'm used to going for a run when I have any free time. I became a runner and am registered for two half marathons this fall (in sept, and oct).

Slightly burying the lead here, three posts deep and at the end of the third but aside from the day to day living, missing kickball sucks, but missing being able to run every day basically sucks more.  I skipped the day of my game and the day before after finishing my second August challenge on Tuesday.  I was just about to heat up in my training and was enjoying running in the summer heat. I ran 5ks on my lunch break!

No comments:

Post a Comment