Monday, August 10, 2015

Monday Morning Walk And Talk

Kind of like Monday Morning Quarterback but without the quarterbacking or walking.  Just a quick check in here.

I guess I went in the wrong door Friday morning when I went to the town clerk for my handicapped parking permit. There I went in the door, only to find 8 steps between me and where I needed to be. Irony. But no problem. I can do nice and easy stone and concrete steps. Got my red temporary car parking thing and went home. Off from work, this was my big adventure for the day.

Saturday we visited with Nancy and Andy and it was super nice to get out of the house for an afternoon. I'm finding that most places are handicapped accessible enough. With a little grease under these arms (actually that'd be bad), anything is accomplishable. I got some sun and watched my kids play in the pool, even though my view was impeded by a bare chested Andy sunbathing at times.

Yesterday's big adventure was a trip to Joe Bruno Stadium to catch the Hudson Valley Valley Cats take on the Lowell Spinners. I ran the Fathers Day Home Run 5k in June which gave me four free tickets to any game. The box office gave us tickets for section 320 which was way down the right field line. Okay. After five innings of sitting in the sun and staring at the sun we moved to behind the third base dugout and into the shade. The home team won and we got to see a couple home runs and double plays. The best part was at the end of the day last night when my fitbit only gave me two stars for all this efforting. Some day I'll get five stars again, someday.

Couple quick comments and observations I've learned during my 10+ days of no walking.
-- I have learned to appreciate dry hands above almost everything else. I typically do not mind washing them and letting them air dry, but these days I've really got to take a minute and make sure they are completely dry.
-- People aren't mind readers. And that's ok. I've got to just ask for things. I'm not used to it.
-- Pockets and backpacks are crucial. I can't carry anything. But I sure can if I have somewhere to put it!
-- I say thanks a lot because I am very thankful, but I've really stepped up my 'thanks game' the past couple weeks. I'll continue to be thankful. Most all people are very helpful. It's nice. Yes, there's a lot of inconsiderate people in the world but let's not give all of mankind the thumbs down quite yet!
-- I took a shower Saturday night and my daughter asked me if I just got back from a run. I wish honey, I wish. They understand I'm injured and that they need to be helpful, but they do not understand why it's not magically fixed yet.
-- The past day or so my right knee has really wanted to do stuff. It's a little tired of just sitting here, but that's it's job now. Like it or not!
-- My left leg is going to be great at pivoting in basketball when this is all done. This is the training it's always wanted I suppose.

Otherwise, all things considered, everything is going well. I'm anxious to hear what the doctor has to say next Monday and don't like waiting but it's all part of the process. Patience!

You've got to crawl before you can walk.
You've got to stand before you can step.

Have a great week, I'll post again soon!

keyword being temporary!

No comments:

Post a Comment